The Cherry Street Tavern is located at the corner of 22nd and Cherry Streets in the Logan Square neighborhood of Philadelphia. It’s a local landmark, having been operated in the same location since the early 1900s.

For years, The Cherry was owned by local football legend John "Tex" Flannery.

 

A local landmark since 1905...

John “Tex” Flannery

The bar.

Our back dining room, filled with Philly sports and historical memorabilia, can accommodate large groups for office meetings, special functions or parties.

  1. “…one of the best spots to eat and drink anywhere around the center city area.”

  2. —phillyfoodie.com

Flannery was inducted into La Salle High School’s Alumni Hall of Fame in 1975, and the La Salle College football field was dedicated as "Flannery Field" in his honor in 2007.

Flannery sold The Tavern to its present owners, brothers Bill and Bob Loughery, in 1990.

The Cherry Street Tavern was first licensed as a bar in 1905. During Prohibition, the actual bar itself was removed from the building and replaced with a barber's chair, and the tavern was transformed into a barber shop -- although one or two might’ve had a wee taste as well as a haircut. Women had to enter through a rear "ladies' entrance," since only men were allowed in the bar room.

Maybe it’s because of our central location and proximity to upscale hotels, but in addition to our regular clientele The Cherry Street Tavern has attracted some high-profile guests, like basketball Hall of Famer Larry Bird, late heavyweight champion Smokin’ Joe Frazier, and Flyers’ power forward Scott Hartnell.

Then again, maybe it’s just the good food and drink...

Flannery coached football at John Bartram High School (1944-47) before moving on to La Salle High School (1953-84). During his tenure at La Salle, his teams won three Catholic League Championships (1957, 1958 and 1960) and two City Championships (1957 and 1960).